Cancer » Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer is cancer originating from breast tissues, which are commonly formed in the inner lining of milk ducts. Cancers originating from these ducts are known as ductal carcinomas. Very firstly you have to understand that every change and every lump found in your breast doesn't meant that you have Breast Cancer.
If the cancer is detected earlier, chances of survival are very high. The size, stage, rate of growth, and other characteristics of the tumor determine the kinds of treatment. Now the treatment is much improved and helps you to understand how to check your own breasts and take ownership of the health of your breasts. Treatment may include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation or immunotherapy.
You have always heard from everyone that it only affects women aged 40 years and older. But unfortunately young women are being diagnosed in their teens, twenties and thirties. If we see the percentage, it is very low compared to that of older women aged 40 years and above. You also need to know that 1% of men also suffer from breast cancer.
Male breast cancer is a relatively rare cancer that originates from the breast of men. As it presents a similar pathology as female breast cancer, assessment and treatment relies on the same methodology.
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
The very first symptom that can be notice is typically a lump that feels different from the rest of the breast tissues. Most of the cancer cases are discovered when the woman feels a lump. The earliest breast cancers are detected by a mammogram.
The other indications of breast cancer are changes in breast size or shape, skin dimpling, nipple inversion, or spontaneous single-nipple discharge.
Inflammatory breast cancer is a special type of it which can pose a substantial diagnostic challenge. Its symptoms are breast inflammation, pain, swelling, nipple inversion, warmth and redness throughout the breast, as well as an orange-peel texture to the skin referred to as peau d 'orange.
Occasionally, it presents as metastatic disease, that is, cancer that has spread beyond the original organ. Metastatic breast cancer will cause symptoms that depend on the location of metastasis. Common sites of metastasis include bone, liver, lung and brain. Unexplained weight loss can occasionally herald an occult breast cancer, as can symptoms of fever or chills.
Breast cancer Treatments
- Surgery: It is usually the first line of attack against breast cancer, depending on the staging and type of the tumor, just a lumpectomy (removal of the lump only) may be all that is necessary, or removal of larger amounts of breast tissue may be necessary. Removal of the entire breast through surgery is called mastectomy
- Chemotherapy: This therapy uses medicines to weaken and destroy cancer cells in the body. The therapy is used to treat early-stage invasive breast cancer to get rid of any cancer cells that may be left behind after surgery and also to reduce the risk of the cancer coming back. In some cases, chemotherapy is given before surgery to shrink the cancer
- Radiation Therapy: Also called radio therapy. It is a highly effective way to destroy cancer cells in the breast that may stick around after surgery. Radiotherapy can be delivered in many ways but is most commonly produced by a linear accelerator
- Hormonal Therapy: It is an anti-estrogen therapy that works against hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer. It is completely different from hormone replacement therapy(HRT)
- By lowering the amount of the hormone estrogen in the body
- By blocking the action of estrogen on breast cancer cells
The important aspects in breast cancer prevention are early detection and risk reduction. The pink ribbon is the universal symbol of breast cancer awareness.
Read more on Breast Cancer :-